5 Tips to Make Moving Day Easier
Whether you’re moving in or moving out, organization is key when the big day comes. There are a variety of things you can do to pre-plan and keep yourself on task. Below we’ve laid out tips and tricks for a smooth, hassle-free move:
– Start a running list of tasks a month before the big move, and slowly check things off your list such as downsizing your closet, donating items you don’t want to bring along, and making plans such as securing a moving company, enlisting friends, reserving a van, having a place for the kids and pets to go for the day, and more.
– Instead o buying expensive moving boxes, head to your local grocery or liquor store and ask for any empty boxes they may have — odds are they’ll have plenty. Also a great tip for moving books and other stackable objects: open-top cardboard totes available at bigger grocery stores make carrying and sorting easy.
– Don’t be stuck the first night in a new home without your toothbrush! Figuring out what goes where can be overwhelming after a hard day of manual labor, so pre-packing an essentials bag will ensure you have everything you need the first night. Pack medications, a fresh change of clothes, hygiene products, device chargers, and more — you can unpack the rest tomorrow.
– Power up on moving day with healthy snacks while you work — your body and mind will thank you for it. Pack a small cooler full of high-protein snacks, fruit, veggies, and beverages to help keep you going and save time. Save the pizza and beer for AFTER you’re done!
– Ensure you leave your old home spic and span, and alternately, have a few supplies immediately on hand at your new place by putting together a caddy of basic cleaning supplies. Paper towels, spray cleaner, garbage bags, and more will come in handy as you do a final pass prior to turning in your keys.