Halloween is a great time to be a kid! We all have great memories of dressing up and running around with other kids in the neighborhood. However, it is important to make sure your children are also safe while they collect their candy and treats.
Our friends at Safe Kids have some great tips on how to make the holiday both fun and safe!
Their top tips are:
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers and, if possible, choose light colors. Since masks can sometimes obstruct a child’s vision, try non-toxic face paint and makeup whenever possible.
- Have kids use glow sticks or flashlights to help them see and be seen by drivers.
- Children under the age of 12 should not be alone at night without adult supervision. If kids are mature enough to be out without supervision, remind them to stick to familiar areas that are well lit and trick-or-treat in groups.
- Popular trick-or-treating hours are 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. so be especially alert for kids during those hours.
- When selecting a costume make sure it is the right size to prevent trips and falls.
Click here to download a comprehensive list for your family!